Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Up up and away...

After a bus ride from Kelowna to Vancouver yesterday, I spent the evening with my friend Miyuki. I have a brutal cold and am doing all that I can before I start in two days. Last night we sat down to big bowls of Pho.

I'm now on board a flight to LAX transferring to Georgia. The plane is full of hacking and sneezing people. I didn't realize passing customs would be so complicated with a one way ticket into the US. It took a while.

The total contents of my equipment, now including food is at 23 pounds. That leaves me with an extra 10 pounds for water.

I ordered a ULA (ultralight backpack) and had it shipped to the hostel. I am anxious about its fit and my final total weight before beginning. I'll find out the day before I start. I headed to MEC yesterday in the afternoon and bought a face guard for myself while sleeping along with some water purification tablets in case my platypus system fails. A lot of people on the trail apparently use bleach, but as I don't know anyone who has done this personally, I will stick to my system until I know better. I still need to pick up a Seattle sombrero, some fuel and a lighter. Apparently, there is now snow on Springer Mountain at present but the temperatures are around or below 0 Celsius (gotta work on my Fahrenheit conversion). I am nervousness about sleeping warm in my hammock but think I should be ok as I managed a night or two at -3 c. The major problem I had was my nose being cold.
I

No comments:

Post a Comment